Formula Drift returned to Autodrome St-Eustache in Canada and saw the Norwegian Hammer, Fredric Aasbo, in his Toyota Corolla iM earn his tenth event win – the most in Formula Drift history.
“What a crazy weekend! I love this place and the fans here and we had some luck here in the past,” said Fredric Aasbo, winner of Round 5: True North. Aasbo added the highlight of his day was his battle with James Deane, the events number one qualifier and current season points leader, during the Top Four battles.
In the second run of their battle, Deane had an error on the latter part of the course and gave Aasbo the edge and win. “I haven’t battled (James Deane) since 2012. That battle took everything out of me.”
From there, Aasbo took on Kristaps Bluss in the BMW E46. Bluss made it to the final round due to a bye run when his opponent Vaughn Gittin in the Mustang RTR had a mechanical failure during his Great 8 bye run forcing him out of the competition.
As Bluss was in the lead on the first run he straightened out and decreased speed forcing Aasbo to adjust and make slight contact. With the advantage in the second battle, Aasbo in the lead was then forced off the course as Bluss made door-to-door contact, which the judges deemed him at fault, giving Aasbo the event win. According to Aasbo,
According to Aasbo, Bluss blew his transmission on his lead run. “We took the win and now we are the first team to get to 10 wins” Aasbo said.
This marks Aasbo’s second consecutive win in Canada as he won in 2016, moving him into second place in the standings. Bluss moves up to third place in the standings, while Deane retains his lead with only two events remaining in the season.
The action continues to Round 6: Throwdown at Evergreen Speedway in Monroe, WA on August 4-5.
Round 5: True North Results
1. Aasbo, Fredric Rockstar Energy / Nexen Tire Toyota Corolla iM Winner
2. Bluss, Kristaps HGK / Mast / Motul / Wisefab BMW E46 2nd Place
3. Deane, James Worthouse Drift Team / Falken Tire Nissan 240 3rd Place
4. Gittin, Vaughn Monster Energy / Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR 4th Place
5. Field, Matt Falken Tire / Vapetasia / ARK Nissan 240 5th Place
6. Gushi, Ken GReddy Racing Nexen Tire Toyota Racing 86 6th Place
7. Landreville, Marc Marc Landreville Racing Nissan 240 7th Place
8. Nishida, Robbie Jerry Yang Racing Nissan GT-R 8th Place
9. Pawlak, Justin Roush Performance Ford Mustang 9th Place
10. Denofa, Chelsea BC Racing / Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR 10th Place
11. Tuerck, Ryan Gumout / Nameless Performance / Hankook Toyota 86 11th Place
12. Wiecek, Piotr Worthouse Drift Team / Falken Tire Nissan 240 12th Place
13. Kearney, Dean Oracle Lighting Dodge Viper 13th Place
14. Hamilton, Nate Team Enjuku / BC Racing / Hankook Tire Nissan 240 14th Place
15. Coffman, Matt Nexen Tire / Coffman Racing Nissan 240 15th Place
16. Yoshihara, Dai Falken Tire / Turn 14 Distribution Subaru BRZ 16th Place
2017 Formula DRIFT Black Magic Championship Presented by BlackVue Standings After 5 Events
1. Deane, James Worthouse Drift Team / Falken Tire Nissan 240 368.00 Points
2. Aasbo, Fredric Rockstar Energy / Nexen Tire Toyota Corolla iM 334.00 Points
3. Bluss, Kristaps HGK / Mast / Motul / Wisefab BMW E46 293.00 Points
2017 Manufacturer Championship Standings After 5 Events
1. Toyota 596.00 Points
2. Ford 429.00 Points
3. BMW 259.00 Points
4. Dodge 239.00 Points
5. Nissan 173.00 Points
6. Infiniti 120.00 Points
2017 Tire Championship Standings After 5 Events
1. Falken 713.00 Points
2. Achilles 663.00 Points
3. Nexen 638.00 Points
4. Nitto 475.00 Points
5. Hankook 469.00 Points
Photography courtosy of Formula Drift | Larry Chen